Head of Resources Management Job
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
The UN Migration Agency – SUDAN – Khartoum
Position Title : Head of Resources Management
Duty Station: Khartoum, Sudan
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 17 September 2020
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
The UN Migration Agency
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the
benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and
inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female
candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all
IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered
before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. External female candidates:
3. Candidate from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba;
Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See;
Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic
(the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated
States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis;
Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and
Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas;
Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Sudan, in coordination with the
Senior Regional Resources Management Officer (SRRMO) for Middle East and North Africa
(MENA), and in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs), Administrative Centres
and the Regional Office for MENA – RO Cairo, the successful candidate will be responsible and
accountable for managing, monitoring and administering the resources management functions
of IOM Sudan and its network of sub-offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Plan, oversee and monitor the resource management functions of all activities of the Country
Office (CO) and its sub-offices. Supervise/coordinate the preparation of financial reports, donor
reports and budgets. Provide oversight of financial expenditures and undertake financial
analysis of projects in the CO.
2. Ensure implementation of and adherence to internal controls to safeguard the organization’s
assets, control cash and prevent fraud and mismanagement. Develop and implement relevant
operational control systems and strengthen internal controls by documenting and streamlining
3. Ensure compliance with general instructions of IOM and relevant permanent instructions for
the CO, namely in the areas of general administration, finance procurement, logistics, common
services, information and communication technology, and human resources.
4. Coordinate the financial and administrative aspects of agreements, in close coordination with
relevant project managers and the Office of Legal Affairs.
5. Oversee the maintenance of the CO’s premises, equipment, vehicles and supplies.
6. Participate in the senior management team and in the development and implementation of
short and long-term management objectives and goals. Liaise with project managers regarding
developing programmes/projects budgets, funding levels of ongoing activities and estimated
funds coming in through foreseen future activities.
7. Support the CoM and Project Managers in managing the human resources functions and
make recommendations on recruitment and personnel administration. Apply internal HR
policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive
cases in coordination with relevant units/departments within the organization.
8. Provide support to the CoM and Project Managers in answering queries on the correct
allocation of programme funds and providing any requisite documentation including for auditing
purposes. Support Project Managers throughout the project cycle to ensure compliance with
IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor specific requirements.
9. Represent the Organization at relevant high-level inter-agency meetings most notably the
interagency office management team (OMT) and liaise with banks, government counterparts,
UN entities and other stakeholders as required in performance of the resources management
10. Liaise with donors regarding new, ongoing or completed projects as required.
11. Supervise Human Resources, Finance, Procurement, Logistics, Common Service and
Information Technology units in IOM Sudan and train the staff in relevant areas of Resources
12. Supervise the UN common premises/compound in Abyei that is under IOM management.
13. Undertake duty travel to provide support on resource management issues; establish controls
and procedures; resolve and provide guidance on resource management problems/issues; and
build resources management capacity of the CO ensuring that IOM rules and regulations are
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a related field from an
accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA),
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified
Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Management experience at the international level, accompanied by background in finance,
accounting and budgeting as well as experience in human resources management required;
• Field experience, including in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as
• Experience in IOM or an intergovernmental field-based organization in administrative and
financial management, budget monitoring, cash management and internal control procedures;
• Experience in supervising the development and implementation of administrative control
procedures, coordinating external auditing exercise;
• Direct experience in the region an advantage.
• Knowledge of IOM/UN finance, procurement and HR procedures and rules;
• Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly
• High level of computer literacy, experience in computerized accounting system and software;
knowledge of MS office specifically EXCEL; knowledge of accounting systems, software and
procedures (SAP a distinct advantage).
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic,
French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process,
which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the
ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and
communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain
eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in
the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No
late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 17 September 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment
system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 04.09.2020 to 17.09.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview,
processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank
Requisition: VN 2020 190 Head of Resources Management (P4) Khartoum, Sudan (56602423) Released
Posting: Posting NC56602424 (56602424) Released